REQUIREMENTS TO BUY A FLAT AS A FOREIGNER
REQUIREMENTS TO BUY A PROPERTY AS A FOREGNER
What requirements must be met?
Whether you are a buyer from a country of the European Union or from abroad, in Spain there are no restrictions for real estate investment.
The indispensable requirement is to have the Foregners Identy Number (NIE), which is the way to identify yourself as a buyer in the contract of purchase of the property and to pay the taxes and expenses.
To apply for the NIE, if you wish, we can help you if you wish.
It is not necessary to have a bank account in Spain to be able to invest in a property, but if you have one, it would simplify a lot the process of paying taxes and other costs.
We can also help you with this process, if you do not have a reliable bank.
Tips for buying a home
- We would advise you to iew the property in person before making any payments. This way you can check in person, that it corresponds to the description and if it is as you expected the house to be. Before coming to the country, you can always make a video call to see the house, the area and any questions you may have.
- In case it is not easy for you to travel, you always have the option to make a power of attorney, so that the proxy can buy on your behalf. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- We always advise you to come to our real estate agency, so that we can show you legal documents that prove information about the property you are interested in. This way we would inform you perfectly about the market, all the necessary procedures and requirements to buy the property you want with peace of mind and security.
We will prove with documentation, if the property has charges and payments. If the community of neighbors is up to date or payment, if the supplies are discharged. If the municipal tax called IBI (Impuesto de Bienes Inmuebles), is up to date of payment for the last 5 years. If the house has a Certificate of Hability, Energy Certificate ant ITE of the builing (it's not necessary in the purchase, but to know the state in which the house is in).
What does the buyer have to take into account?
To reserve the property you are interested in, you will have to make a reservation or you can directly make a deposit contract (to advance steps), these initial payments will be discounted from the sale price.
Apart from the sale price, the buyer will have to take into account the following expenses:
- Notary fees, the cost is usually between 0,2% and 0,5% of the value of the property purchased, we can always confirm the price before the reservations/arras.
- The taxes for the purchase of a property, in the case of a new construction, VAT is paid, amounting to 10% of the value of the property.
- In the case of a second hand property, you pay the ITP, 10% in Catalonia.
- The Land Registry, to register as the new owner of your house, so that your name is registered in the Land Registry. The fees of this official are also regulated and cost between 0.1% and 0.25% of the price of the property.
For more information please don't hesitate to contact us and we will advise you from the first moment, until the moment you have the keys in hand, together with our team of immigration lawyers.